On 16 May 2014, at 10:13, Gary Hull wrote:

My impression is that MailMate doesn't deal well with Gmail by design, and there's no plan to natively support Gmail.

Well, even though I dislike the design choices for Gimap (and calling it IMAP) I've done a lot to make it work in MailMate. A rough estimate is that half of the MailMate users have a Gmail account which means I don't really have a choice.

But I try to do it in a way such that most parts of MailMate are unaware of the account type (IMAP or Gmail).

However, in the MailMate documentation there are hacks given for those who must use Gmail, the first of which is "Don't use labels," the second of which is "If you do you use labels use one and only one label for every each and every e-mail," and the third of which is "If you must use labels as tags and put more than one on each e-mail, get used to a lot of duplicated e-mails, because GIMAP presents labels as separate folders to connecting IMAP clients."

As stated in my previous reply I have softened this a bit. Multiple labels are okay if using the tags-to-labels mapping.