On 2024-05-28 at 10:05:34 UTC-0400 (Tue, 28 May 2024 15:05:34 +0100)
Jason Davies <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

Hi folks,

I have MailMate running on two machines (rarely at the same time), a Mac Mini (MMini) and a Macbook Pro (MBP). Both run the latest version of Mailmate (Version 1.14 (5937). I also use Preside for iOS on a phone and iPad.

It's taken me a while to understand what is going on but I suspect I'm still missing some details. Uniquely on the MMini, if I delete a message, it *appears* to move to the Deleted Items folder. No other device registers this move, however. It remains in the inbox indefinitely on all other devices.

If I delete something on the MBP, it appears to move to Deleted Items and *does* register on iOS.

If I move items via Move..., they *do* register as moving out of the inbox, unless it is to Deleted Items. 'Delete immediately' *does* remove it (but I don't want to use that very often).

Basically, if I delete something from Mailmate on the MMini, it only appears to be deleted, and I end up deleting it via another device.

Any suggestions about how to fix this? It sounds simple but has taken far too long to diagnose;)

I do not have a fix but I do have what I think is an explanation...

There are different procedural mechanisms to "delete" messages on an IMAP system. Some common ways start with marking a message with the standard "\Deleted" keyword. At that point, some IMAP clients will hide the message, others will show it in a Deleted Messages (or Trash) IMAP folder which may or may not really exist as a folder on the server, some will show the message with an indication of its \Deleted state. Some IMAP clients will issue an EXPUNGE immediately afterwards, causing deletion, others will wait until switching folders, and some IMAP servers will auto-EXPUNGE \Deleted messages whenever a SELECT or UNSELECT is issued for a folder. These variabilities and how different clients react to others deleting messages has led to a simpler model commonly being used, using the MOVE command to move a message into a Deleted Items (or "Trash") folder and then maybe (<sigh>) marking it as \Deleted. Actual deletion of messages is then left until the user empties the Trash. In some cases a server will implement auto-emptying of Trash.

So, what I think is happening is that you've somehow gotten your 2 Macs deleting by different procedures. I know that I discussed this issue some years ago with Benny (here) and I thought the result was a configurable setting, but I cannot find that setting now. You may find it by doing a settings dump ("defaults read com.freron.MailMate" ) on both Macs and comparing them.

--
Bill Cole
(AKA @grumpybozo@toad.social and many *@billmail.scconsult.com addresses)