On 28 May 2024, at 16:01, Bill Cole wrote:

> So, what I think is happening is that you've somehow gotten your 2 Macs
> deleting by different procedures. I know that I discussed this issue some
> years ago with Benny (here) and I thought the result was a configurable
> setting, but I cannot find that setting now. You may find it by doing a
> settings dump ("defaults read com.freron.MailMate" ) on both Macs and
> comparing them.

aha, this sounds very plausible. And I've just found the page about rebuilding
the database and transferring settings between computers so I can at least
standardise them.

Because I have a lot of throughput at work, and often need to be able to read
them for a couple of months (but no longer), I have a manual system for leaving
them in trash then simply deleting immediately anything that is over 4 months
old (smart folder). This sounds clunky but also deals with the proliferation of
different 'trash' folders that using different emailers on different platforms
seems to have got me into.

Thanks for the explanation, it makes sense, I'll go and try to put it into
practice;)

Cheers,

Jason