Hi,

> My understanding, as a non expert in mail clients’ subtleties, is that it is
> impossible to transfer tags (or smart mailboxes based on tags) from Mailmate
> to another client (except for a few IMAP keywords). Is it absolutely
> impossible, or is there a workaround?

In my experience, the issue isn't so much "transferring" from MailMate to
another MUA, it's that other MUAs don't necessarily do tags the "right" way
(IMAP keywords or flags) as MailMate does (with controversial definitions of
what is Right and Wrong).

In other words, MailMate tells IMAP servers the right thing, and I've had no
issues using:

* Mutt - CLI email with IMAP features
* Roundcube - Webmail UI that talks IMAP

To both work fine with "Tags" from MailMate.

In the latter case, I did have to install a Plugin from the RoundCube
community, but, once I did, it worked as I needed.

Pragmatically, how different email clients deal with tagging of messages seems
all over the place.

Most rely upon a private index/database kept on a local device, with only
minimal server-side compatibility.

There was a pretty advanced looking Mail.app plugin for doing tags and I tried
to convince them they should use IMAP to store tag state, to make it work
between devices better, but, nope, they weren't interested (MailTags from
SmallCubed) at the time.

There have been attempts over the years to get email applications like
Thunderbird to support IMAP keywords, but, last I checked (a year or so), that
did not work as one would hope.

Personally, I am VERY happy with how MailMate does it, but, from time to time I
have to use other email applications for various reasons, and I sorely wish
that they supported server-side IMAP keywords/flags the way MM does.

Scott