On 7 Jun 2024, at 18:06, aisrael wrote:

My understanding, as a non expert in mail clients’ subtleties, is that it is impossible to transfer tags (or smart mailboxes based on tags) from Mailmate to another client (except for a few IMAP keywords). Is it absolutely impossible, or is there a workaround?

Scott already gave a thorough answer. I'll just add some random thoughts:

* Not all servers support IMAP keywords, in particular, Office365/Exchange. In those cases, MailMate will quietly (which is kind of bad) make them local-only. * Some server have a limit on the number of IMAP keywords which results in various silent errors (like tags getting cleared shortly after being set). * Thunderbird has, I think, 5 custom IMAP keywords. Tags can be created in MailMate which map to those keywords and then they should work nicely together. * Colored flags in Apple Mail also uses IMAP keywords. MailMate mirrors this behavior.