On 2024-06-26 at 05:23:12 UTC-0400 (Wed, 26 Jun 2024 11:23:12 +0200)
Eelco Chaudron <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

Yes, but that is the behavior I do not want. I want mm to auto wrap when typing. This is useful when replying to patches we’re auto formatting might be messing stuff up.

MM (and anything that supports format=flowed properly) respects explicit line breaks and does not re-wrap text with fixed line breaks such as code patches when composing replies. It also will NOT "auto-wrap" by forcibly inserting line breaks to enforce a maximum line length, as that would harm intentional formatting for text such as code.

Note that some MUAs do not respect explicit line breaks and may delete them to reflow text, notably MS Outlook. Some MUAs also do not understand how to present "format=flowed" plaintext, leaving sections that should be soft-wrapped by the MUA to run right off the edge of a window.

So it’s more an editor/composer feature what I need.

Can you provide a concrete example of MM doing something wrong and explaining what you want it to do instead? I ask this because I suspect that the problem is fundamentally an interoperability problem based in other clients mishandling display of format=flowed and mangling quoted text sections in replies. I have found that no form of adaptation is possible to make all of Gmail, Outlook, Apple Mail, and MM handle "plain text" interoperably for conversations about code.

One possible workaround for you, if Benny doesn't feel like adding a 'hard wrap' option, is to use one of the editors that is supported by the Bundle mechanism and exposed in the Commands menu. The available bundles can be seen in the Preferences.

//Eelco

Send from my phone

Op 25 jun 2024 om 16:49 heeft Randall Gellens <mailm...@randy.pensive.org> het volgende geschreven: