On 26 Jun 2024, at 8:54, Bill Cole wrote:

On 2024-06-26 at 05:23:12 UTC-0400 (Wed, 26 Jun 2024 11:23:12 +0200)
Eelco Chaudron <mailmate@lists.freron.com>
is rumored to have said:

Yes, but that is the behavior I do not want. I want mm to auto wrap when typing. This is useful when replying to patches we’re auto formatting might be messing stuff up.

MM (and anything that supports format=flowed properly) respects explicit line breaks and does not re-wrap text with fixed line breaks such as code patches when composing replies.

That's correct F=F behavior.

It also will NOT "auto-wrap" by forcibly inserting line breaks to enforce a maximum line length, as that would harm intentional formatting for text such as code.

Correct F=F behavior is to insert a "soft" line break so lines intended for refolding are no more than 78 characters. By inserting "soft" line breaks within a plain text F=F body (or body part), the text is more easily handled by non-F=F clients.

Within a plain text F=F body (or body part), there is a distinction between lines that have a "soft" line break for backwards compatibility and thus suitable for reflowing by a F=F-aware displaying client, and lines that have a "hard" line break (e.g., because they're code or poetry or an ASCII table or whatever). (A soft line break is a space CRLF sequence.)

F=F also standardizes marking lines as quoted, so they can be correctly reflowed by a F=F-aware displaying client to fit the window size.

Note that some MUAs do not respect explicit line breaks and may delete them to reflow text, notably MS Outlook. Some MUAs also do not understand how to present "format=flowed" plaintext, leaving sections that should be soft-wrapped by the MUA to run right off the edge of a window.

So it’s more an editor/composer feature what I need.

Since F=F requires only that soft-wrapped lines not exceed 78 characters, MailMate could have a preference for the maximum soft-wrapped line length, default 78, maximum value 78. Users who care could set this to a lower value to cause shorter soft-wrapped lines.

If MailMate is generating F=F with soft-wrapped lines exceeding 78 characters, I'd say that's a bug.

--Randall