On 26 Jun 2024, at 21:23, Eelco Chaudron wrote:

Yes, but that is the behavior I do not want. I want mm to auto wrap when typing. This is useful when replying to patches we’re auto formatting might be messing stuff up.

So it’s more an editor/composer feature what I need.

I haven't looked into MailMate's handling of this. I think good practice is for a mail client to treat any lines wrapped by the user as hard-wrapped, not soft. That is, if a user just types text in a composition window and doesn't hit return, that text should be soft-wrapped per F=F when the message is transmitted. If a user hits return after some lines, those lines should be considered hard-wrapped when the message is transmitted. Probably pasted-in text should be treated the same way (soft-wrapped if it doesn't contain actual line ending characters, hard-wrapped if it does) but I'm less sure about that. What does MM do?

--Randall