On 2 Jul 2024, at 17:39, Pete Resnick via mailmate wrote:

On 2 Jul 2024, at 3:05, Benny Kjær Nielsen wrote:

For example, most Markdown implementations do not “respect” hard-wrapping lines. This does not work well for emails and therefore MailMate handles it differently. Some other email client developer might make a different decision. The behavior might even differ between different versions of MailMate (due to changes in its Markdown utility).

In these cases, where the Markdown is very variant specific, text/markdown (RFC 7763) is probably the right thing to do instead of text/plain markup=markdown. I understand that would open an entirely new can of worms.

It certainly would. This RFC is fine for MIME types in general, but (in practice) I think it would fail completely if used for the actual content of the email. Most email clients should just consider it to be `text/plain`. That won't happen if it had its own MIME type -- *and* it would require the generation of a `text/plain` alternative which would essentially mean that the same text would be in the email twice (HTML is bad enough).

Another issue is that I strongly believe the use of Markdown in emails should nicely co-exist with `format=flowed`.

Would you like to co-author an RFC? :-)

No :)

Maybe the option you really need is for MailMate to only generate HTML if you use “non-trivial” Markdown.

That would be fine!

I think something like this is the best way forward. No promises though.