>From Magisto's perspective, having publicly announced reaching 50 million
users 2.5 months ago, such costs can rack up very, very quickly to tens of
thousands of dollars per month. This applies not just to e-hawk but also to
akismet, to email verification/validation services and to transaction fraud
services. at least the latter can be directly linked to revenue...

At minimum to make this economically viable, we will have to wrap any such
service with our own rudimentary implementation to filter out / downrank
the blatantly bad stuff.
I didn't do this research for signup fraud yet, but for e-mail address
verification there is little point in getting an inflated bill from your
vendor for doing something which you can do in-house cheaply and
efficiently, like maintain a DEA blacklist, good domain whitelist and do
some parked domain detection. And then let the vendor handle the more
complex remaining stuff.

Gil