On 10/15/15 11:31 AM, Steve Atkins wrote:

There's no way to tell just from that policy. If I put up a web page with a pr@
address and state that I'm interested in press releases in a given field then
(arguably relevant) press releases sent to that address are not unsolicited.
It's a reasonable policy. How it's interpreted and enforced makes the
difference.

I have certainly done nothing of the sort. None of addresses have ever been included in any web page that has been published by me or anyone to whom I've given permission. These aren't role addresses like "pr@", "sales@", etc.

What response you get from the third-party mailer is more telling. If you're
getting significant volumes of unwanted email from multiple customers of that
ESP, then they're probably either incompetent or spam-friendly. If you're
getting significant volumes from one or two customers of that ESP, *and you've
not told abuse@ about it*, then it's possible they're a perfectly competent,
reasonable ESP and have a couple of customers with just slightly crappy list
acquisition practices.

Multiple, multiple customers, complaints to abuse get an ignore-bot canned response and perhaps listwashing from that specific customer or campaign but the flood continues.

We've gone from confirmed permission being the gold standard to unconfirmed permission because confirmation is just too hard. Now we have supposed legitimacy that "publishing" implies permission. And how does one verify the "publisher"?

If some ex-spouse were to "publish" a Facebook page claiming that [email address] is a guy who needs help getting it up, does that legitimize spam from the Russian pharma gang?

If it's the ESP I think it is, they're a legitimate ESP with a reasonably
responsive abuse desk but don't have the squeakiest cleanest customer base.

Well, I have received *nothing* from this mailer-for-hire (IMHO far more of a spammer than an ESP) that I've asked for, nor anything from anyone with whom I've done business. The amount of spam is on the rise on behalf of numerous outfits loosely connected with some things that would imply "targeting".

And, I've never seen language like "publishing implies consent" in the policy of any legitimate ESP.

--
Jay Hennigan - CCIE #7880 - Network Engineering - j...@impulse.net