> On 15 Oct 2015, at 19:56, Jay Hennigan <mailop-l...@keycodes.com> wrote:
>

> And, I've never seen language like "publishing implies consent" in the policy
> of any legitimate ESP.

The ESP’s policy isn’t relevant. What’s relevant are the laws in your
jurisdiction.

In the EU, there are two conditions that permit sending marketing (including
charity, political, and pressure group campaigning) email to personal email
addresses. First an existing business relationship. Second explicit permission.
It doesn’t matter how the permission is expressed, but it must be expressed.
So, publishing a call for business proposals might qualify, I suppose: top tip,
give a deadline if you’re doing that! But you’ve said you aren’t. So this is a
red herring. Even then, EVERY email must carry an easy to use mechanism to
opt-out. That means a visible link, in my view.

Anyway, if you haven’t published a request for emails, then this clause isn’t
relevant. They’re spamming you.

--
Ian Eiloart
Postmaster, University of Sussex