Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:

> I won't claim our failure mode here is correct for all cases, but the flip
> side is, this is what you get with dnssec by design.

By design the DNS distinguishes between nonexistent (i.e. NXDOMAIN or
NODATA) and failure (SERVFAIL). If there is a security error DNSSEC gives
you SERVFAIL.

Mail systems traditionally treat DNS SERVFAIL as a temporary error, and
only reject outright if they get NXDOMAIN or NODATA.

So you can't blame DNSSEC for Gmail's choice to reject outright when it
gets a SERVFAIL on a reverse DNS lookup.

If spammers are playing silly buggers then a 4yz response should be just
as effective as a 5yz response, and there is less risk of harming the
robustness of legitimate senders.

Tony.
--
f.anthony.n.finch  <d...@dotat.at>  http://dotat.at/
Forties, Cromarty, Forth: Southeast 5 to 7, veering southerly 6 to gale 8