On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 3:55 PM, Brandon Long <bl...@google.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 4, 2016 at 2:27 PM, Andreas Schamanek <
> scham...@fam.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
>

>> Hi Brandon,
>>
>> On Thu, 4 Feb 2016, at 13:41, Brandon Long wrote:
>>
>> > It is a netblock quota you're hitting, yes.  As we see more and
>> > larger hit and run spam jobs from previously unknown or low volume
>> > IPs and netblocks, the low volume senders are caught in the cross
>> > fire.
>> >
>> > I'll ping the spam team about the messaging again, saying IP is
>> > definitely wrong there.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> > And I can ping them about better handling about this, they've made
>> > some improvements recently, but it's a hard problem.
>>
>> That would be even better. But I understand that the problem is hard.
>> I am active in the antispam community, too.
>>
>> > Also, the bulk sender guidelines don't only apply to bulk senders,
>> > in particular, you have no authentication for your messages.
>>
>> For one, I don't believe in DKIM. But more importantly, it's just not
>> worth the efforts to implement DKIM, DMARC, DNSSEC etc. for 15 msg/day,
>> or at least it wasn't so far.
>>

> If you don't believe in message authentication, you're going to have a bad
> time.
>
> And I didn't talk about dmarc or dnssec, and at the low end, SPF is kind
> of trivial.

Yes SPF or DKIM on emails is the bare minimum to do for an email
administrator nowadays.

I think the community is starting to treat unauthenticated emails as a
problem.

If you were trying to send over IPv6, unauthenticated emails would go
nowhere.

About email authentication metrics:
https://googleonlinesecurity.blogspot.com/2013/12/internet-wide-efforts-to-fight-email.html

The only thing that may help you in a bad environment is to clearly claim
who you are by authenticating your emails, it is not anymore a question of
belief in a technology, we passed that point a while back.