From: John R Levine<mailto:jo...@taugh.com>
Sent: ‎2/‎4/‎2016 5:51 PM
To: Michael Wise<mailto:michael.w...@microsoft.com>
Cc: mailop@mailop.org<mailto:mailop@mailop.org>
Subject: RE: [mailop] Gmail throttles anyway

> If you're going to do something that will break the DKIM signature as a
> matter of course,
> You should remove the DKIM signature, and maybe re-sign it with your own.
>
> You shouldn't break the signature and then forward what was once goodmail
> with a now busted signature.

Au contraire.  You should always preserve all the signatures to make it
easier to figure out what happened if there's some sort of trouble down
the line.

Since the spec says that there is no difference in message handling for a
broken signature and one that's not there, could you be more specific
about why you think it's important to make forensics harder?

Signed,
Confused

PS: See RFC 6376, section 6.1:

    Survivability of signatures after transit is not guaranteed, and
    signatures can fail to verify through no fault of the Signer.
    Therefore, a Verifier SHOULD NOT treat a message that has one or more
    bad signatures and no good signatures differently from a message with
    no signature at all.

    In the following description, text reading "return status
    (explanation)" (where "status" is one of "PERMFAIL" or "TEMPFAIL")
    means that the Verifier MUST immediately cease processing that
    signature.  The Verifier SHOULD proceed to the next signature, if one
    is present, and completely ignore the bad signature.