On Fri, Mar 18, 2016 at 2:35 PM, Hal Murray <hmur...@megapathdsl.net> wrote:

> How much is their non-delivery problem costing them?  Be sure to include
> lost-time as well as charges that show up on a bill

Dealing with everyone except Microsoft took about 20 minutes.  Over 8
years, this is the first time it's come up.  Well under $100.

> An alternative thing to "give" would be getting infected and sending out
> spam.

They have 'special' software that only runs on Windows, so that's out of
the question.

> Is the spam going direct or through their mail server.  If direct, some
> firewall rules might block that.  If through the mail server, some volume
> limits might catch it sooner.

Yeah--they have a block on port 25 leaving their network excluding their
mail server.

In a way, I'm thankful that Microsoft is making it difficult to get
> delisted.
>  It makes people think about the cost-shifting they are doing.  They
> probably
> aren't thinking of it as cost-shifting, but at least they are becoming more
> aware of the problem.

By that logic, I'll start charging you $250 to get de-listed and you'll
become aware of the cost-shifting.  ;)
That's why it's supposed to be cooperative.  Once Company A starts putting
a huge burden on Company B, Company B will say 'screw it', your customers
can't e-mail me (or vice versa).

i.e. if I spam the hell out of your network and refuse to clean up my act,
you might block me permanently.  If your customers complained, they would
probably accept "aarons-email-service.com is a spam outfit, so they are
blocked", or "aarons-email-service.com decided to block us and there is
nothing we can do about it".

No one accepts "sorry, you can't e-mail {Microsoft,Google} and there's
nothing we can do about it".  The response will be "Ok, we're moving to
{Microsoft,Google}". Because they are too big to be at fault.

I remember a nasty bug with Chrome that caused printing problems on Windows
a few years back.  Something to do with an update that caused the TCP port
to hang open and never close.  Google said the fix would be out in ~2
months.  It took about 30 minutes to find it, and when the customer asked
what the problem was, we said "Google released an update to Chrome that has
a printing bug in it".  Well, the $50k accounting package the customer used
was Chrome-only (Firefox and IE simply would NOT work).  The response from
the customer was "Yeah, right.  You're fired." And they called in a
different IT company.  The solution from the new IT company was brilliant:
"Your former IT company was stupid.  I can't believe they put in these
crappy Supermicro servers.  Buy these Dell servers instead and we'll
migrate you."  3 months later they finished the migration and obviously the
fix for Chrome had been released by then.

-A