On Fri 2016-Mar-18 11:05:59 -0700, Aaron C. de Bruyn <aa...@heyaaron.com> wrote:
On Thu, Mar 17, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Jay Hennigan <mailop-l...@keycodes.com>
wrote:

Am I just grumpy this week?

Kinda.

The desire to move to a small cabin in the woods and never hear the words
'e-mail' or 'Microsoft' ever again sounds perfect right about now--so I
guess I am grumpy.  ;)

Is e-mail no longer a cooperative system?

It is. Please be at least as aggressive with stopping spam leaving your
network as you are with that entering it.

I guess that's the crux of the problem.

* It's not my mail server.
* The customer can't afford full-time IT staff to manage and monitor their
infrastructure.  They don't want to pay us to manage their mail server
until it has problems.
* Microsoft makes it extremely difficult to get delisted once there are
problems (like a virus that blasts out spam)
* They like having a mail server that costs them $0/year for the last 8
years, so they don't want to pay $200/mo to switch to Exchange online.

They're welcome to run their own server at near-zero maintenance cost. But, if that mode of operating the mail server results in other mail systems being negatively impacted and the admins of those mail systems then taking corrective action that causes delivery issues for the customer, that's one of the consequences/implications of running your mail system on the cheap (read "poorly/not managed").

Please know that I'm not trying to pin this on you or say that you're managing the system poorly; this is a consequence of the customer's choice of how much (little) they want to spend on managing that system/service.

I guess one of those things is going to have to 'give'.  I'd like it to be
"Microsoft making it extremely difficult to get delisted once a virus has
been cleaned up", but that's a pipe dream.

*sigh*

Sending a 250 and then silently discarding the message isn't "nice", but Microsoft is doing what they deem necessary to protect their customers/infra/services. The sender's choice to wait until it's too late and only spend some money/resources after the fact isn't Microsoft's problem. They have no motivation to accommodate someone else's poor decisions.

No free lunch etc.

Thanks for the input Jay.

-A

--