On 06/09/2016 03:34 PM, Michael Wise via mailop wrote:
> That's a violation of RFC 821, etc.

It might be, but it's the conservative (less scalable) approach instead
of the aggressive one.

There are RFC5321 violations everywhere like this one ;)

RFC5321
4.5.3.2.  Timeouts
4.5.3.2.7.  Server Timeout: 5 Minutes.
   An SMTP server SHOULD have a timeout of at least 5 minutes while it
   is awaiting the next command from the sender.

$ time telnet mx1.hotmail.com 25
Trying 65.55.33.119...
Connected to mx1.hotmail.com.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 COL004-MC5F4.hotmail.com Sending unsolicited commercial or bulk
e-mail to Microsoft's computer network is prohibited. Other restrictions
are found at http://privacy.microsoft.com/en-us/anti-spam.mspx. Thu, 9
Jun 2016 07:26:53 -0700
Connection closed by foreign host.
1m03.66s real 0m00.00s user 0m00.01s system