I would argue something differently: many email users (and postal mail, for
that matter), have an expectation that email is mostly but not 100%
reliable, due to spam false positives or just the lack of delivery
notification.

People can then choose to not respond to a message and later claim they
never got it, and folks are not surprised.

I'm not saying that as mail operators we should encourage this, but we
should understand user expectations.

Ie, if we decided suddenly to turn on delivery notification
requesting/responding for all Gmail users, that would be a huge change to
user's expectations, and probably wouldn't go over very well.  It's easy to
see why turning on read notifications would be problemmatic, but I think
most users would be equally surprised by delivery notifications.  And this
is quite different from several other messaging systems that people
routinely use where delivery and read notifications are standard, along
with typing and prescence notifications.

Brandon