> On Aug 12, 2016, at 11:52 AM, Vick Khera <vi...@khera.org> wrote:
>
> On Fri, Aug 12, 2016 at 12:34 PM, Steve Atkins <st...@blighty.com> wrote:
>> You're vouching for / accepting responsibility for every mail you sign.
>> If your users are bad actors - as they are in this case - you're accepting
>> responsibility for that.
>
> So if I took any random message that I came upon signed by you and
> spammed the world with it, you take responsibility for that?

I would take responsibility for the message, yes. It's a message I signed
and sent. That doesn't change just because it was forwarded to you by
someone else.

The sole reason for DKIM to be based on a body signature is that there
is very little benefit to a bad actor taking someone else's mail and resending
it with identical content, and when it comes to spam our mitigation is primarily
financial.

For example, I receive mail from my bank. It's DKIM signed so I know it's
mail from my bank. I can take a thousand copies and send them to other
people, and they too will know it's mail from my bank. What I can't do is
change the account number, or the message, or the links in the mail. Once
I do that, it's no longer mail from my bank.

This works pretty well until you allow malicious parties to inject their own
content
into mail that you take responsibility for by signing it with DKIM.

On most levels there's no deception going on by fastmail or their customers.
Fastmail vouched for the message, as it was sent by one of their users. They're
still vouching for that identical message, even when it's sent from elsewhere.

There's nothing particularly new here. It's all pretty well understood, and even
discussed a little in the DKIM RFC. And there's not really anything to "fix"
other
than understanding that a DKIM signature just tells you it's a message sent by
someone the domain owner trusts enough to sign their mail. If that domain is
wellsfargo.com or paypal.com or whitehouse.gov that tells me one thing about the
message. If the domain is yahoo.com, fastmail.com or gmail.com it tells me
another.

Cheers,
  Steve