> And to John's objection to privacy for companies in another message, your
> outlook is unrealistic. It's often very important to secure names in advance
> for a project that hasn't been publicly announced (because once it's
> announced the speculators will swoop in). Not being able to mask ownership
> information for these domains, prior to the announcement, would be a serious
> business risk, and serve to stifle innovation around domain names.

Not seeing it.

Company names in the US are public record with the state that they're
registered.

Want to trademark that business name in the US? That becomes part of
the public record, too.

Companies often speculatively register domains, even speculatively
submit trademark applications today and most of them seem to do just
fine without having to eliminate or restrict WHOIS.

Don't want it registered to the main company? Register it to one of
your other LLCs. Companies regularly do this today to obfuscate
ownership in other contexts. I see ad agencies register domains for
clients today. Nobody's stopping this or trying to stop this.

If you're a company registered in a US state, the company name,
registered agent, and incorporation info are public record. If you are
a company registering a domain name on the internet, I think that
registration information for that domain name should be at least as
public.

--
Al Iverson
www.aliverson.com