On 03/25/2017 06:36 AM, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
On 03/24/2017 09:44 PM, John Levine wrote:

Sure, but the arguments we're seeing at ICANN are way beyond
reasonable.  Everyone thinks it's important to protect the personal
information of people, but most domains are not registered by people.

That's a self-fulfilling prophecy. How many of those are registered by
people who didn't want their home address publicly listed?

Agreed, data is needed here to make intelligent decisions.

How many people are spammed from having their email address listed?

Wrong question. :) "How many spams do people receive where their e-mail address was retrieved from whois?" is the right question. The answer to the first is 100%, but that's not meaningful. I use a different e-mail address on my whois contacts on purpose for just this reason. I get 10-20 messages a day flagged by spamassassin, and about half that which SA misses for some reason. Easily 99.9% of those are to my e-mail addresses which are publicly available on the Internet. I get a handful a month to my whois contact address. (And less than that to my PGP key spamtrap addresses, for what that's worth.)

The spammers themselves have said that trolling whois for addresses is not valuable to them because they can get so many more addresses so much cheaper from other sources. Spam researchers have repeatedly validated this.

When it comes to privacy I'm much more concerned about the most vulnerable folks not being required to publish their residential address and personal phone number in whois. Those actually can be serious threats, up to and including physical harm for some.

How many get scammed by the domain-renewal scumbags?

A lot? Probably? But that's part of being a domain holder. IMO the registrars should be doing a better job of educating the users.

How many people have
been harassed at home for something they wrote on a blog? Has anyone
been killed?

There are numerous examples of the first, I'm not aware of any examples of the second, but it's only a matter of time.

I'm in favor of privacy being an optional feature, as it is now, where registrars (or the privacy-providing party) take on a legal obligation to pass all communications to the registrant within 24 hours. Most folks don't need that, but the ones who do need it should have it.

Can someone
list the ways that the WHOIS data is used for good?

Sure. :) I work with companies all the time who are interested in procuring domain names for new projects, campaigns, etc.; and want to know who's already registered what, where.

I also work with companies that want to take action against bad actors who are using "confusingly similar" domains to spread malware, porn, etc. (Usually ending in a UDRP case)

And to John's objection to privacy for companies in another message, your outlook is unrealistic. It's often very important to secure names in advance for a project that hasn't been publicly announced (because once it's announced the speculators will swoop in). Not being able to mask ownership information for these domains, prior to the announcement, would be a serious business risk, and serve to stifle innovation around domain names.

hope this helps,

Doug