> On Mar 25, 2017, at 9:36 AM, Michael Orlitzky <mich...@orlitzky.com> wrote:
>
> On 03/24/2017 09:44 PM, John Levine wrote:
>>
>> Sure, but the arguments we're seeing at ICANN are way beyond
>> reasonable.  Everyone thinks it's important to protect the personal
>> information of people, but most domains are not registered by people.
>
> That's a self-fulfilling prophecy. How many of those are registered by people
> who didn't want their home address publicly listed?
>

>> There's also a bizarre insistence that cybercrime is not a big problem
>> and WHOIS is not useful to fight it.
>
> When you paint things black and white and don't provide numbers, it's easy to
> pretend whatever you want. The privacy side is hearing "we want to punish
> everyone for the sins of a few." The anti-abuse side hears "we want to throw
> the baby out with the bathwater.”

Nope. The anti-abuse ‘side’ IS the privacy side.

I fight on behalf of end-user abuse every single minute of the working day, for
hundreds of millions of users at $company, dealing with thousands of
privacy-violating attacks every hour.

> There's probably a middle ground, but without numbers, it's not even clear in
> which direction the "middle" is.
>
> How many domains are registered by individuals? How many use "private
> registration"? How many provide false information to hide their real info?
> How many use their work address for the same reason?
>
> How many people are spammed from having their email address listed? How many
> get scammed by the domain-renewal scumbags?

I’ve had domains since the 90s, rarely, in my experience, and certainly an
infinitesimally smaller number than the spam perpetrated by throw-away domains
with crap in the WHOIS (which, by the way, tends to be actionable in one way or
another, despite it being fake).

> How many people have been harassed at home for something they wrote on a
> blog? Has anyone been killed?

Certainly they have. what does that have to do with WHOIS? Blogs, in their vast
majority are hosted at places like Blogger.

> For the other perspective, what sort of abuse is stopped?

seriously? You are seriously asking this? If so …

Phishing
Threat to human life
Spam
DDoS

I could go on …

> How much does it cost?

How much does what cost?

> How many scams, threats, etc. are avoided as a result

Thousands. tens of thousands, perhaps even, no, not perhaps. BILLIONS. yes
really) See above.

> and how do those numbers compare to the ones for the "privacy" side? Can
> someone list the ways that the WHOIS data is used for good?

See above. I live in the WHOIS data 6 of every 8 hours I work.

> Make it impossible for people to use their imaginations, give them numbers.

I cannot provide specific numbers due to a strict NDA. you can believe me, or
not. your call, but I speak the truth.