> Il 17 luglio 2017 alle 21.05 Tim Starr <timstar...@gmail.com> ha scritto:
>
>     2) Why allow email to be sent at all from "unmanaged servers"?

I've been buying an "unmanaged server" from various European providers
(including OVH, and currently Contabo) for the last 15 years, to run my
personal website and email server, as well as those of a few local non-profits.

Over time, it has become more and more difficult to keep doing so. You are
being required to learn and install new pieces and protocols, just to be able
to continue sending. The automatic updates of your Wordpress stop for a few
weeks, your server gets cracked and starts spamming, your provider shuts you
down and you're off the Internet. Even now, even if I am not listed in any
blacklist that I know of, even if I implemented SPF, DKIM, DMARC and even
DNSSEC and DANE, Gmail keeps rejecting 90% of my messages (fully ham, personal,
1-to-1 messages to real life friends) because... you don't know, in the error
message they say that it's spam (though clearly it's not) and they don't give
you any other explanation, you are sent to a maze of useless "support" pages
and even if you find a contact form and use it, as I did several times before
giving up, nothing ever happens.

Now, you may think that this is the right thing, that only "professionals"
should be allowed to connect a server to the Internet, for "security reasons".
But that is not how the Internet was supposed to be, and it is not why it has
offered freedom and growth to everyone around the world.

The Internet is what it is exactly because anyone is allowed to connect a
server to it and start doing what he wants, as long as he speaks the common
protocols. But this is going away, and you are increasingly being told that if
you want to stay online you should better stop doing things on your own and
start using a Gmail account as well.

The real risk of this approach is that sooner or later all of us here, except
those who work for Google, Facebook, Apple or Microsoft, will be out of
business. There will be no email any more, there will be a few huge messaging
platforms competing with each other to attract customers into their closed
garden by exploiting their critical mass, like it already is for instant
messaging. If this happens, even telcos won't be big enough to continue
offering email reliably, as so many delivery issues reported here already show.

Is this really what we want? It's good to have anti-spam features in place and
to be hard against spammers, but I'd rather take all the spam that I can get,
than give up the federated nature of the Internet.

Regards,

--

Vittorio Bertola | Research & Innovation Engineer
vittorio.bert...@open-xchange.com mailto:vittorio.bert...@open-xchange.com