What's the real cost to the consumer for the raffle registration?  The get
more spam to their postal box or more email spam that mostly goes to the
spam folder.

The chances of winning are likely small but so is the cost to them.  None
of us mailbox providers charge based on number of messages received, and
longer term limits like quota aren't affected since it's deleted.

There's obviously a cost to the ecosystem in terms of extra load, though in
postal mail that actually helps pay for the system.  Obviously in email
it's a pure cost, though a small fraction overall compared to the more
abusive spammers (not an excuse, just observation).

So, crappy stuff, but not purely irrational for the consumer.

Brandon