On 11/7/17 8:28 AM, timrutherf...@c4.net wrote:

Hello all,

We are on the Comcast FBL and occasionally get abuse reports from Comcast through that service.  It is my understanding that these reports are generated automatically when the customer reports an email as spam.

However, we have seen several occasions where the messages are clearly not spam.  In some cases they are a reservation confirmations (something the customer just purchased), invoices from companies they deal with on a regular basis, or even general email correspondences.

I’m wondering if there are any other actions that trigger a spam report and consequently a FBL report.   IP reputation, message content, 3^rd party antivirus actions, etc. ?

I run a bunch of lists that are inhabited by "unsophisticated" users (notably parents belonging to PTO lists), and a couple of church email lists.  It's really amazing how many people read their email via webmail, and use the "junk" button instead of "delete" - sometimes fatfingering, sometimes out of sheer ignorance, sometimes because they forgot they joined the list, or no longer want to be on it, and can't be bothered to remove themselves or ask to be removed.

Sometimes, it leads to real headaches, like having the machine blacklisted (usually when someone deletes a vacation's worth of traffic in one fell swoop) - or sometimes when an errant piece of real spam gets through our filters (e.g., when a list member has been infected by a bot).

And, these days, Comcast, AOL, Microsoft, et. al., obfuscate the address in what they attach to FBL reports - it's REALLY a pain to have to correlate email IDs with specific pieces of mail (and one has to disable bulk mail to large hosts - generating lots of exraneous transactions).

What a frigging pain.

Miles Fidelman

In practice, there is.  .... Yogi Berra