On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Rob Nagler <mailop-bp...@q33.us> wrote:

>>> Does Gmail ask for the POP3 password every time, or do they store it ?
>>

> They store it. Just like they do with SMTP passwords.

On the one hand, I totally sympathize with that position, though the
difference between having it on some device that can be lost/hacked vs a
cloud service... I guess cloud services can be hacked in bulk, but chances
are your users are already just re-using their email password, and so that
ship has sailed.

I haven't kept up with oauth recently, have they solved the discovery
problem?  If so, I can file a bug to have our pop fetcher switch to support
oauth, but that would come with a bunch of work on your end to support that
(I don't think anything supports that out of the box yet).

There's also Gmailify instead of pop fetch.  It uses IMAP and oauth, but it
has a small whitelist of services it works with, partially due to oauth,
partially due to IMAP being a more complicated protocol, and mostly just
being overly cautious.

Brandon