The HUGE problem with OAuth is there is no common way to specify
authentication links, so authentication must be manually configured for
every mail service with OAuth support. We use IMAP/SMTP+Oauth to collect
mail from Gmail/Yahoo/Hotmail/Outlook/Yandex and we prefer for everyone
to use OAuth to collect mail from Mail.Ru to prevent cleartext passwords
storage.

Because anyway everyone is using Google's proprietary XOAUTH, it could
be nice for Google  to add some extension for authentication service
detection to indicate URI user should be sent to authenticate. It can
help to make OAuth more universal without the need to have manual
settings for every mail server and to solve the problem with cleartext
password storage for everyone, including Google itself.

P.S. There  RFC 7628/RFC 7591/draft-ietf-oauth-discovery but it doesn't
solve the problem either, because there is still no clear instructions
on how to discover OAuth links for SMTP/IMAP servers and there are no
BCPs due to lack of implementations. Creating BCPs with XOAUTH can help
to improve/extend this set of standards in future.

11.11.2017 0:52, Brandon Long via mailop пишет:

> On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 8:11 AM Rob Nagler <mailop-bp...@q33.us
> <mailto:mailop-bp...@q33.us>> wrote:
>

>         Does Gmail ask for the POP3 password every time, or do they
>         store it ?
>

>     They store it. Just like they do with SMTP passwords.
>

> On the one hand, I totally sympathize with that position, though the
> difference between having it on some device that can be lost/hacked vs
> a cloud service... I guess cloud services can be hacked in bulk, but
> chances are your users are already just re-using their email password,
> and so that ship has sailed.
>
> I haven't kept up with oauth recently, have they solved the discovery
> problem?  If so, I can file a bug to have our pop fetcher switch to
> support oauth, but that would come with a bunch of work on your end to
> support that (I don't think anything supports that out of the box yet).
>
> There's also Gmailify instead of pop fetch.  It uses IMAP and oauth,
> but it has a small whitelist of services it works with, partially due
> to oauth, partially due to IMAP being a more complicated protocol, and
> mostly just being overly cautious.
>
> Brandon

Vladimir Dubrovin
@Mail.Ru