On 2018-02-05 10:27, Marc Goldman via mailop wrote:
I received an email telling me I would need to pay RETROACTIVELY for the years I did NOT receive support in order to upgrade.

Has anyone ever heard of a policy like that?

What is cheaper, paying retroactively or buying a new license?

At $DAYJOB we charge about 30% (of a new license) to renew if you renew on time, or about 70% to buy an upgrade if you let your support lapse. We want customers to always get a better deal than jumping ship but it encourages ongoing revenue which is what allows us to have a new version to buy at all.

(This is an example/anecdote and not an offer, we're in the SMB email space, but not an MTA vendor).