In article <20180410083903.gi86...@rincewind.trouble.is> you write:
>>>I've been tasked with finding out what the general consensus is on the
>>>support in email headers for International characters such as  UTF-8 ...

>Accented characters in real names are pretty universally accepted
>though.  Even real names entirely in scripts that are nothing like
>ASCII.

Unless your mail program is badly broken, it'll encode UTF-8 or other
non-ASCII text in address comments (aka friendly from aka real names)
using MIME encoded-words so the message as sent and received only
contains ASCII.  All of the MUAs I know, even rather old ones like
Alpine, automatically decode the MIME and show you the text.

R's,
John