Mail has never been clean, if you've been using such a simple easy
rejection rule,
you are likely a majority English provider who doesn't get much else.

It used to be very common to get mail in koi8-r or koi8-u, or in
iso-2022-jp or sjis,
for example, or even in iso-8859-1 or others around Europe.  There are a
lot of
badly made form senders and such which never bothered to properly implement
MIME
encoding.

Sure, you can throw that all away, and maybe that's fine for your users,
but it
is not all spam.

As most folks moved to utf-8 for everything instead of the mishmosh, more
of that
unencoded headers moved to utf-8 as well, so now that's the most common
8bit headers
now (for our mail flow).

It also turns out, most mailers handle this stuff just fine.  Heck, djb
noted this two decades ago:
https://cr.yp.to/smtp/8bitmime.html  Auto detecting which charset it is to
be nice can be annoying,
but isn't that complicated, and like I said, utf-8 is there.

Which is kind of understood in the SMTPUTF8 spec, isn't it, the specs don't
really have a way to
interoperate.  Yes, you can't send a message to an EAI address without
RFC6531 support, but
turns out most servers/clients will handle an RFC6532 message.

Yes, please, send correctly encoded messages, but don't assume that badly
encoded messages
are bad.

Brandon