> Without confirmed opt-in, you're at the mercy of what random junk people
happen to stick in there
True, but then the real problem is that the opt-in is invalid. As an ESP
you should evaluate these lists beforehand *and* monitor for signs of a
lack of opt-in (e.g. high complaint rates by FBL or unsubscribes). Having
these typo's are often good indicators for me to start looking further
beforehand. E.g. a...@hotmail.com is the perfect example of people not
wanting to provide their real email address.

A double-optin only confirms there was a relationship with some sender at
some point in time. It avoids typo's. However, it does not state with who
the opt-in was, when it was provided, for what content, for what frequency,
under what circumstances and for how long that is valid. It is not
watertight at all.

Yours,

David

My opinion is mine.