On 27 Apr 2019, at 13:02, Grant Taylor via mailop wrote:

On 4/27/19 3:54 AM, Simon Lyall wrote:
The below message was bounced by everyone (I assume) in the list whose address is hosted by gmail.

I would be surprised if it was just Gmail.

Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2019 08:44:58 -0600
From: Brielle Bruns <br...@2mbit.com>
Subject: Re: [mailop] The utility of spam folders

It looks like Brielle's message was DKIM signed, modified in transit (likely by the mailop mailing list),

Yes, because the signature included the Sender and List-* headers, probably non-existent originally, which mailing lists typically (including this one) add to messages they relay.

Signing the non-existence of the Sender and List-* headers on messages sent to mailing lists is a perfect recipe for broken signatures. Whoever made the signing choices for Brielle's mail made wrong choices.

and subsequently rejected (or otherwise penalized) by DKIM enabled recipients.

Rejecting mail simply for a broken DKIM signature when the relevant DMARC record includes p=none is bad practice. It particularly unwise when, as in this case, the signer has oversigned headers that do not exist in the message at all. It is certainly within anyone's rights to reject mail for any whimsical reason they like, but a mail system that rejects messages for this reason is unfit for general use. It's being used as a toy.

I expect that such penalizations are going to become more prevalent.

I look forward to the resulting world where people have direct experience with the ways mail provider quality varies and create actual competition on more than name recognition and webmail UI cuteness.

Error message similar to this:

     SMTP error from remote mail server after end of data:
     host aspmx.l.google.com [2a00:1450:400c:c00::1b]:
    550-5.7.1 This message does not have authentication information or fails to pass     550-5.7.1 authentication checks. To best protect our users from spam, the
     550-5.7.1 message has been blocked. Please visit
    550-5.7.1 https://support.google.com/mail/answer/81126#authentication for more
     550 5.7.1 information. i5si14352580wrp.442 - gsmtp

I'm used to such for SPF / DKIM / DMARC failure.

I'm guessing that it was DKIM signature failure because 2mbit's DMARC record has a policy of none, thus shouldn't have applied.

Beyond that, any system that understands DMARC should never use DKIM failure as an absolute rejection criteria if p=none. That's an explicit statement by the domain owner that it is WRONG to treat a bad DKIM signatures in their name as basis for rejecting mail. Google is being intentionally user-hostile here, intentionally and knowingly degrading their service for their users. I'd call it "stupid" except that I know they are not this stupid.

The subscriptions of around 160 list-members were suspended. I'll look at unsuspending them.

I'm sort of surprised that it was only Gmail. Maybe others aren't being as restrictive and rejecting messages based on DKIM.

Of course not. DKIM is inherently fragile and is easily misused in ways that make it more fragile. In conjunction with traditional mailing lists, it is positively dysfunctional.

Or perhaps there's more to Gmail's secret sauce that combined a DKIM validation failure with other aspects and decided to reject based on the combined result.

IMHO this does bring up a conversation of if mailing lists that do modify the message should pass pre-existing DKIM signatures through. I personally believe that such previous DKIM-Signatures (et al.) SHOULD be removed OR renamed (prepend something like "X-Old-") to them.

I agree. That's not sufficient but it is often necessary.

There are really 3 actions that mailing lists need to take if there is any possibility of them breaking a signature:

1. From headers with domains with p=reject or p=quarantine DMARC records must be munged by the mailing list, because any signature failure OR ABSENCE will cause rejection of mail.

2. Existing signatures should be removed or relabeled.

3. If the From is munged, the message should be re-signed by the mailing list system with whatever domain is used in the munged header.

Note that there are a lot of non-obvious ways a mailing list can break signatures by doing things that have long been considered acceptable or even best practices for mailing lists. Even actions which are theoretically allowable for mail in general such as header refolding or address format normalization can break signatures.

I know that different mailing lists have taken different stances on DKIM & DMARC signed posts. Some push back and may unsubscribe the secured sender. The other end is to be extremely proactive and remove / rename problematic headers and generate new counterparts as messages leave the mailing list. (I fall into the latter camp.)

But, with DMARC having governmental mandates in multiple countries, I suspect that this is going to become more of a problem. As such, I think it deserves being discussed. Particularly where along the aforementioned line the mailop mailing list wants to be.

It is not accidental that some of the drivers of the development of DKIM and DMARC and "leaders" in aggressive enforcement have been entities which run their own captive discussion list systems which work best for users who also have mailboxes under the same provider's umbrella. A conspiracy theorist might think that Google, Yahoo, and AOL (now one with Yahoo) wanted to kill off traditional provider-independent discussion mailing lists.

--
Bill Cole