Brielle Bruns <br...@2mbit.com> writes:

> EXIM is generating that list based on RFC 4871 (Section 5.5 lists
> recommended).

There's a discrepancy in the wording, though.

The RFC says, about the list given: "The following header fields SHOULD
be included in the signature, if they are present in the message being
signed:", whereas the Exim documentation says: "When unspecified, the
header names listed in RFC4871 will be used, whether or not each header
is present in the message."

So the RFC is suggesting a list of header fields that you should be
signing if you use them, and it helpfully groups them, too.  The way I
read it, it's saying that the original sender of a message to a mailing
list should not be signing the non-existence of the "List-" headers, but
if the mailing list software generates its own DKIM signature, it should
do so after adding these headers, and include them in the signature.

Incidentally, RFC 4871 is obsolete.  It's been superseded by RFC 6376.
See https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc6376#section-5.4 for updated text.

> Sure, it looks like it may be overzealous in its inclusion, but that's
> a change in behavior that could be suggested to the EXIM developers to
> make it a bit more tolerant of what you are suggesting.

It seems they've implemented DKIM without really thinking it through.

> DMARC elicits the same 'Fuck that' response from me.  I implement
> something with regards to it only because I need mail to go through.

That's one reason.  Another is to protect yourself against forged mail
pretending to be from you.  You may not care about that, but e.g. my
employer does, and has SPF, DKIM, and DMARC implemented, including the
soliciting of reports from recipient systems to their account at
dmarcian.com.

-tih
--
Most people who graduate with CS degrees don't understand the significance
of Lisp.  Lisp is the most important idea in computer science.  --Alan Kay