I'll have more to say on this (of course I will ;) ) but I'll mention
that I'm attempting to assemble what I'll call, for lack of a better
term, a roadmap of RFCs that mail system operators should be familiar
with.  I'm doing this because I'm trying to (a) train some junior
people and (b) fill in gaps in my own knowledge.  I'll likely ask
ietf-smtp and mailop to both review it because I have no doubt that
I'll overlook some that should arguably be included.

Once it's put together, perhaps it would be useful to all of us.
(Modulo those people who've already read them all and can quote
them at length from memory. ;) )

---rsk