On 2019-07-01 21:20:30 (+0800), Simplelists - Andrew Beverley via mailop wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019 14:19:03 +0100 (BST) Andrew C Aitchison wrote:
On Mon, 1 Jul 2019, Simplelists - Andrew Beverley via mailop wrote:
I'm after some general advice about moving to a new outbound email IP address range.

We have a choice of either applying for a brand new range from RIPE (which has presumably never been used before to send email), or buying an existing block that may have been used.

Would it be better to go for the brand new block? Obviously any existing block could be checked in DNSBLs etc, but are there any advantages of using an existing block?

Are they both IPv4 ? Both IPv6 ?

Both IPv4.

The factory that made IPv4 addresses has been closed for a while. They don't make new IPv4 addresses any longer. I don't believe "completely clean" IPv4 address space exists anywhere. Certainly in the RIPE region, all you're going to get is returned address space.

I think "the devil you know" might be the better option. RIPE NCC will assign you whatever allocation is next, which may have once been hijacked or otherwise unsanitary. You have no way to know. If you're transferring space from a broker, you can do at least some due diligence.

Whichever option you go for ... you'll have to ramp it up slowly. Even if the block you get allocated has inexplicably never been seen to send email before, the absence of a reputation is also a reputation in the benighted times we live in.

Philip

--
Philip Paeps
Senior Reality Engineer