In article <711d8022-2df9-f54b-fa3a-eb520059c...@spamtrap.tnetconsulting.net>
you write:
>Check the current Internet Message Format RFC, 5322.
>
>>   There are two limits that this standard places on the number of
>>     characters in a line. Each line of characters MUST be no more than
>>     998 characters, and SHOULD be no more than 78 characters, excluding
>>     the CRLF.

>My understanding is that this is the length of the line, as in sequence
>of ASCII bytes, which is NOT the same thing as the length of the header.
>  The header can easily be wrapped and take up multiple lines of text.
>I'm not sure if there is an upper bound on the length of a line wrapped
>header.  (Please correct me if I'm wrong.)

A header field is logically a single line, so it can't exceed 998 octets.
See section 2.2.3 of RFC 5322, "Long Header Fields".

The not-really problem with List-Unsubscribe is that unsub URLs can
often be longer than 78 characters, and breaking them with white space
makes them not work.  So don't break them.  As already noted, if your
URLs don't fit in 998 characters, you have other problems.

R's,
John