John Levine via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> (Di 20 Aug 2019 21:45:37 CEST):
> In article <530230574.3626402.1566296780...@ss002889.tauri.ch> you write:
> >-=-=-=-=-=-
> >Not quite, RFC5322 section 2.2.3 explicitly states at the end of the
> >paragraph:
> >"An unfolded header field has no length restriction and
> >   therefore may be indeterminately long."
>
> You're right.  I missed that.
>
> But I suspect I'm not the only one who missed it, so I would try to keep
> headers under 998
> anyway.  It usually isn't hard.

As far as I understand we've a physical max line length of 998 octets.

Header fields have to be folded if their length exceeds 998 octets.
But if you revert the folding operation, the resulting "unfolded" header
field can be indeterminately long.

    Best regards from Dresden/Germany
    Viele Grüße aus Dresden
    Heiko Schlittermann