Opposite experience also for me.
Working in the past for an ESP (that was both SuretyMail and CSA certified) I received some complaints from CSA. The complaint process asks also to demonstrate that the data was correctly collected (site, timestamps, IP, privacy statement accepted, privacy flag text on the form).
They seems to work as "arbitrator" but:

 * complaints sometimes comes after months from the user and they
   always accept them (very strange that it happens seems to be forged)
 * they keep sometimes the complaint for a long period (also months)
   before ask for the data
 * as ESP we was asking to the customer the original data and sometimes
   48 hours wasn't enough time to find the data manager in office
 * even if there were all the possible data replied back in the same
   day of the request, a reprimand was always given

Sometimes they asked for data but customer wasn't any more using the ESP so we cannot get data to avoid accessing data without the consent (we wasn't any more data processor for that customer) but a reprimand was anyway given. One time the user write both us and to the ECO, asking just to be unsubscribed and when/where he was subscribed. We unsubscribed the user the same day and replied him with his subscription data, the user replied us "thank you", ECO was always kept in CC. After a couple of weeks, they asked for data for the same complaint. We replied all the necessary data but the reprimand was given.

IMHO they really care about best practice but the ESP was always considered guilty if a complaint is given and it's not correct. I also seen a very famous European marketing logic platform suspended for repeated reprimand so CSA probably doesn't care about how big is the company, they just apply their rules.

Note. I also asked the certification for the actual company and they decided not to give it us because of "warnings of content scanner" and no, we wasn't sending any "less than first class" content. They probably sniffed some spam subscription or comments notified to our staff mailboxes (hosted on google apps) but they didn't said it us, just a negative result after 5 months from the application.
Hope it can help.

--
Stefano