On 10/7/19 4:38 PM, Brandon Long via mailop wrote:

Also, it's hard to optimize for the servers that send us one message a day.  I've argued before that we should have better handling for the smallest servers (whitelist the first 5 messages/day for low volume IPs, for example), but the total volume compared to the effort against the major spam campaigns, it's hard to get that high enough on the priority list.  We did make some changes for that for smtp time blocking, but it doesn't move any of our numbers because the number of messages affected is tiny... and when you're talking about IPv6, even small
numbers like that can result in large enough holes for spam campaigns.

Hi Brandon,

Thank you for responding here. I would love if Google could support the smallest servers better. I run my own mailserver for my wife and I, and usually it is okay. But the tools available from Google require hundreds of messages a day, and we probably hit 20 on a very active day.

And a very technical question: I changed my SPF records to allow a second server, and that seemed to change my reputation - messages then started going to spam. Is that the cause? (I was updating to a new version of the OS, and the process involved moving to a new server and then back again.  I need to do this upgrade again sometime and don't want to
destroy my reputation again).

Again, mostly, thanks for jumping in here.

John