> On 14 Oct 2019, at 10:50, Paul Smith via mailop <mailop@mailop.org> wrote:
>
> On 14/10/2019 10:17, Laura Atkins via mailop wrote:
>>
>> When we closed down our colo and moved to a VPS I was slightly concerned
>> about delivery of our mail, given the history of the last time we moved IPs.
>> This time, we saw no interruption or problems with email.
>>
>> Small senders do just fine getting into Google.
>

> We're a small sender as well, and rarely have problems with Gmail (Microsoft
> is, historically, more of an issue for us). But, we consider the reputation
> of the hosting company when choosing a VPS for email.

Yeah. I think there’s been a bit of a shift back to looking at your network
space and surrounding IPs. It seemed the big mailbox providers got away from
that a bit, but now I’m seeing more and more indications that your neighbors
matter.

> However, there is a perception that it's hard, so if Google can improve that
> perception, it wouldn't harm them.

If the perception is based on a false understanding of how things work, it’s
nearly impossible to change that perception. Take this discussion. There are
some people who have the perception that Google is acting unfairly and blocking
their mail “for no good reason.” Commentary from experienced email people,
folks who run small servers and comments by folks from Google is not changing
that perception.

laura

--
Having an Email Crisis?  We can help! 800 823-9674

Laura Atkins
Word to the Wise
la...@wordtothewise.com
(650) 437-0741