On 14.10.19 20:17, Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:
> A lot, in my case a good portion is "targeted" B2B spam, more than half
> of which is sent via ESPs. If people can handle 3 or 5 spams per day,
> can they handle 30 or 50? 300 or 500? How does it scale?

Yes, but you still have to handle these by checking the spam folder?

You might feel it's easier since it is "pre-sorted", but how often did
you miss a FP in that pile of junk or because you didn't check it?

If that mail is a huge contract for your company, do you want to even
have the slightest chance of missing it?

After all you don't want most of these in the first place. So why not
block "maybe"s directly during delivery. That way it's the sender's
problem and not yours.

Since the sender will get informed that his email did not get delivered
for whatever reason, he still has a chance to fix it - if he _really_
wants you to read that mail.

> Ideally, the vast majority aren't false positives. They are spam.
> Filtering algorithms sort into yes - no - maybe. It's the "maybe" group
> that's sent to the spam folder for the user to decide. If the user finds
> email incorrectly (based on that user's decision) routed there, a good
> algorithm will keep track of that for that recipient and route future
> similar mail to the inbox for that recipient.

Most users are really bad in managing that. I get more or less daily
reports that a user doesn't like that he has to be reminded to return a
book or that his lecture X got moved. Because to them "Junk" means
"stuff I do not want", not "bulk email I received unsolicited".

> It may not have just vanished. It may have been delivered, but the
> recipient isn't loading remote images or other spyware. Or the recipient
> saw the sender's address and subject and deleted it unopened. Maybe it
> was routed to spam by an obscure AI that got it right, and the user saw
> it in the spam folder and ignored it. Maybe the first one made it to the
> inbox and the user marked it as spam, training the AI to route similar
> cruft to the same place.

There's no tracking stuff in my emails. I send text only and I'd rather
prefer to receive that too. Whoever thought HTML in emails might be a
good idea needs to get a real good paddling.

Either way as a regular sender I'd rather be informed that a user did
not receive my email. If he trained whatever AI to do so, I'd still like
to know. I can't do anything about him ignoring it, but I'd rather know
if someone else decided to not show him in the first place.

> Do you open every envelope that arrives in your postal mailbox, or do
> you discard some of it unopened and unread as obviously junk mail? The
> same thing happens with email. The post office doesn't give me the same
> thing that my email client does. With email I get two mailboxes, one for
> first class mail, another for "presorted standard". Rarely, the
> electronic postman algorithm gets it wrong (in both directions), but at
> least I can train it.

I do have a "no advertising" sign on my postal mailbox and I sometimes
return mails unopened by adding "return to sender" (and optionally a
reason). I understand that in some countries it's way worse than over
here, but I guess I'd have a stamp then - to have a least some fun while
returning them.

That way I if I mistook a "your fee has been raised" from my insurance
company, they have to figure that out instead of telling me: It

Just as I do with emails, I guess.

Regards,
Thomas Walter

--