On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 3:26 PM Jaroslaw Rafa via mailop <mailop@mailop.org>
wrote:

> Dnia 14.10.2019 o godz. 19:48:03 Laura Atkins via mailop pisze:
> >
> > What one recipient sees as spam another recipient not only wants,
> they’ve actually gone through a COI process to confirm they want it.
> >
> > Spamfolders allow consumer mailbox providers to filter mixed mailstreams
> in a more effective and user friendly way.
>
> I guess the original question was not about if we need to *mark* messages
> as
> spam by the spam filter (and optionally correct that marking by user). It's
> obvious that we need it.
>
> The question was about if we really need to *move* the messages marked as
> spam into a separate folder and hide it from user's view by default.
>
> I suggest it shouldn't be done by default. Let the user decide if he/she
> just wants the message marked as spam, or both marked and hidden in Spam
> folder.

I mean, we do offer with sectioned inbox to move other messages out of the
default view (since we're using
labels, everything is still in the label, just different views), so we
could offer that for spam as well... but frankly,
why?  We also had "bundles" in Inbox, which is could also have been used
for spam... but why?

Having a spam folder has been the standard user interface design for 20
years at this point.  Increasing user's cognitive
load for using email doesn't help anyone.  It would likely mean we'd have
to have much smaller spam folders, we'd likely need
to spend more effort on prioritizing spam (how spammy is it)...

I just don't think your average user thinks this is a problem worth
solving, but you've suddenly greatly increased the
incentive of spammers to spam, no more spam folder means their spam is in
front of users all of the time.

That seems like a horrible trade-off.

Brandon