On 09/12/2019 08:50, Maarten Oelering via mailop wrote:
Multipart messages with html and text alternatives are generally considered
best practice. Senders with html templates should add a text version is the
common believe.

But it's almost 2020, and we were wondering if there's still a good reason for
adding plain text to a html message. Is there a significant audience reading in
plain text? Is plain text important for accessibility? Because SpamAssassin
says so?

Automated software/filters will find it a lot easier to read plain text than HTML. This will include things like screen-readers.

Many people DO read in plain text because of the perceived risk of HTML (tracking images etc)

Many 'techies' read in plain text because it's better & cleaner than HTML

Why wouldn't you add a plain text alternative? Software can automatically generate a reasonable plain text version quite easily and it'll probably be a small fraction of the size of the HTML version, so why not do it? (But test it! A lot of automated generation is rubbish - I've seen ones where the plain text version is identical to the HTML version - tags and all)

--

Paul Smith Computer Services
Tel: 01484 855800

Sign up for news & updates at http://www.pscs.co.uk/go/subscribe