That really sounds like "I use grep to search my archives" instead of
something that actually understands email messages.  Those numbers are tiny
even if you just write a simple program that understands mime and html,
much less something that generated an index.    You could probably write
that in python in less than an hour.

Just about any thick client would do that just fine.  And obviously online
ones as well (my work account is nearly 1M threads at this point and search
is nearly instantaneous...)

Brandon