on Thu, Jun 18, 2020 at 09:57:58AM -0700, Michael Peddemors via mailop wrote:
> WHO do I contact when I have problems related to a domain..

I've been creating patterns based on PTR records and associating
classifications with them as an anti-spam and anti-abuse mechanism for
almost eighteen years, and now have around 96.7% of IPv4 (and some IPv6
but those are mostly multi-homed mail servers with the same name as the
IPv4) classified. This means that I've done easily three hundred
thousand WHOIS lookups, probably far more, over the years. The GDPR is
my nemesis. One of the data points I collect is the entity responsible
for a given domain.

I also think it makes sense that if you have $domain you ought to be
able to visit $domain in a browser, but my expectations are pretty much
constantly disappointed.

What makes matters worse is that many TLDs don't have a functional WHOIS
service, and many others have such useless information that it is often
impossible to find out the name of the entity that owns the domain.
Brazil usually has an "owner" but not a corporate description; Argentina
usually just has a registration number as the owner; many other Latin
American countries' domains just have a network engineer as the sole
contact information in WHOIS.

Much of Eastern Europe is similar, and for some reason Poland often has
records where the name of the org is followed by the name of some other
network engineer (eg, Foo Bar Baz s.p. z o.o Stanislaw Wojciehowicz).
That's if there is any information at all other than a confirmation that
the domain has been registered.

Germany is a nightmare because of the GDPR; probably the only useful
and reliable WHOIS service is Canada's, where they often also tell you
what sort of organization owns the domain, which I find very helpful.

What's most annoying about the whole situation is that I can often find
out what I need to know about an IP by doing an rwhois lookup, so the
GDPR masking domain WHOIS is essentially useless as a form of information
privacy. Total policy fail.

Oh, also, there is apparently an ISP or telco for every fourteen people
in Brazil, which just compounds the frustration. So many lookups.

--
hesketh.com/inc. v: +1(919)834-2552 f: +1(919)834-2553 w: http://hesketh.com/
Internet security and antispam hostname intelligence: http://enemieslist.com/