----- Original Message -----
> From: "Chris via mailop" <mailop@mailop.org>

> On 2020-07-05 15:19, Jay R. Ashworth via mailop wrote:
>
>> An argument I could tolerate -- corporate IT types can be expected to
>> diagnose
>> smartly enough to deal with it... though it will still make things more
>> difficult for them.
>
> Impossible for them, short of blocking HTTPS for everything.

It's possible you might have misunderstood my concern.

If I'm an IT type, and I'm trying to diagnose why *you* can't get to a website,
all my other tools -- which were built atop the system DNS resolver -- are
likely going to give me false negatives... as the telco guys used to say, "the
trouble's leaving here fine!"

I can't *tell* why your problem is happening, because I don't have diagnostic
tools built atop D'oH *and* configured for what invisible server your browser
is using to do lookups -- which might be different from browser to browser.

In short, this multiplies the complexity of diagnosing an everyday problem...
and the complexity of my monitoring system actually *monitoring* anything...
by between .5 and 2 orders of magnitude.

That's an added workload for which my permission was neither sought nor granted,
nor has my budget or staffing been increased.

It is merely the latest (the adoption of systemd by substantially *all* the
Linux
distros being one of the earliest) example of small decisions with Big Impacts
being taken in a fashion which seems to me not-at-ALL engineering driven...

which is the way both Linux and the Internet *used* to run...

which is how they got here.

I really actually don't get it.

Cheers,
-- jra