On 2020-08-07 13:14, Alain Gaudreau via mailop wrote:

Perhaps the time has come to change how we have all been doing it for decades with the current hundreds of RBL’s and local block lists and put in place a low cost or no cost to mailops neutral world wide “governing body” built on fast response, information for mailops and best practices.

I think the very fact that we have recalcitrant providers whose repute has universally gotten so low and stimulated widespread blocking as OVH has, proves that what you propose, even if implemented, couldn't possibly work. Especially considering offshore bullet-proof providers.

If OVH or other large providers can get away with being the way they are, what makes you think any centralized thing would work any better?

As a corollary, what would make a provider comply if you've eliminated the mechanisms we have now? that do work to a significant extent Eg: DNSBLs (local or public)? Nothing.

And this doesn't begin to get into the vast wave of "centralized governing body" conspiracy theories or one-world-order or human rights violation squealing that would inevitable ensue.

And I say that as someone trying to run a mail server on OVH too. One day when I get 'round to it and the blockage gets sufficiently a nuisance, I'll move it to a more reputable VPS.