On 9/25/20 11:26 AM, Jay Hennigan via mailop wrote:
> Even before the phishing became overwhelming they were a significant source
> of spam, primarily "targeted" via purchased lists. For at least the past six
> months the phishing has been overwhelming. While they claim to be working on
> the problem the evidence shows otherwise.

That's because, IMO, it's a fallacy to assume that compromised accounts are
mostly due to phishing.  Password reuse combined with automation by credential
stuffers is the main culprit.

Organizations need to diversify their focus a little away from inbound threats
and towards (1) multi-factor/higher-trust authentication and (2) aggressively
resetting passwords based on suspicious login activity.

I would bet that Sendgrid knows this, but they are challenged with both, given
the type of users they deal with.

It would be better if companies like Sendgrid wouldn't even prompt their users
to create passwords because it's too common for users to reuse passwords (and
variants) that attackers know.  Instead, they should rely on OAuth or SAML.  I
think that the reason they don't is because it's easier to ask users to create
email/password combinations; lest it would interfere with their go-to-market
strategy.

Perhaps an alternative would be to randomize the username (and don't use the
email/domain without the domain owner's consent) which would make it difficult
for attackers to know the username in their credential stuffing attacks, plus
it would encourage users to learn how to use a password manager.  Worst case,
it just means that people forget their username and have to ask for an email
reminder every time (which is a sort of poor-man's MFA)

Jesse