> 1. You must have an SPF record in order for the big mail providers to
even think about accepting your mail (softfail seems sufficient).

> 2. It's not worth rejecting incoming mail simply because it fails
SPF.There are too many badly configured servers out there

This has been my observation as well.  You have to have an SPF record...
but because nobody apparently knows how to configure them accurately and
there's no desire to educate people ... nobody really cares what the SPF
record says.  But you've gotta have one!

Forwarders are one of the things that don't respond well to SPF.  But
honestly, it's 2020 ... why are we forwarding mail to external services?
SRS might be a bandaid for this, but isn't the easiest solution to just
tell people that forwarding mail to external servers is bad (mmkay).

For SPF to be effective, if you ask me, the -all modifier has to be used.
If you can't define a list of IP addresses where legitimate mail from your
domain is going to be coming from, then what's the point of SPF?  So a
message gets denied because you forgot to add that IP to your SPF list...
now you know to add it.